Sunday, October 02, 2005

NAMI in Utah

All in your head, and real - News from Utah

By Jamie Lampros
Standard-Examiner correspondent

OGDEN -- For eight years, Gary Olpin suffered in silence while one doctor after another misdiagnosed him.

"Each doctor had a different diagnosis," he said. "I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, everything you could think of."

Then three years ago, the Ogden resident finally got a confirmed diagnosis -- bipolar type II rapid cycling with schizoaffective disorder.

"I have had the full-blown hallucinations, I've heard the voices, communicated with these people. I can even smell their cologne. It's like everything you can attribute to a bad drug trip, only I have never touched an illegal drug in my entire life," he said.

"It's scary stuff."